Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Over 40(ish) and dating

Man! It's tough out there. When my immediate family decided they were all leaving the state for various reasons, and would be gone for the full month of July (!), I decided I should consider finding friends my own age. After all, the 5, 3, and 2 year-old I normally play with were going to be unavailable. So how do you meet men of a certain age group? Where do they hide? Why, the internet of course! I looked at match.com, eharmony, and yahoo personals. For various reasons, I decided not to use any of the sites. Then I found singlesnet. I saw a few photos I liked, so I went with the one month membership just to test the waters. Hmmmmmm........ Within 3 days, I was calling the office and requesting the money-back guarantee. It seems there are a lot of people on these websites that are NOT who they claim to be. Con artists from South Africa, married men, and the biggest surprise of all - men who lie about their age!!

The first 'gentleman' I met claimed to be 56, divorced, and 5'9". As a newbie to this whole experience, I made the mistake of agreeing to let him pick me up for dinner. (I have now learned to meet them for coffee, lunch, or some sort of short duration.) We drove to Girdwood, AK, which is 30-45 minutes away to have dinner at the Double Musky. I have to say that I was a bit suspicious of the the age when I met him (he was 61), but it was also obvious that he was nowhere near 5'9". During dinner, I learned that he and his wife haven't yet filed for divorce. How many lies does a man think he can get away with? It only got worse when I told him I wasn't interested in dating a still-married man. Are you ready for this? He pulled out a business card and handed it to me. I saw a woman's name - and? He told me to turn it over, and on the back was written "Dennis and I have a platonic relationship only. He is free to do what he wants, when he wants, with whomever he wants." It was signed by his wife. I busted out laughing and accused him of writing it himself. He swore he didn't, and said he had provided one for his wife as well, like that made everything so much better.
Needless to say, I told him I preferred to just go home. On the way back, he actually reached over and grabbed me while asking "what size are you anyway?" OK! It was a hilarious story to share afterward, but to make it worse, the poor guy actually called me a few days later to ask to do it again. Um, no!
That's just the tip of the iceberg on this whole dating thing. I have so many more stories I can share along with some other day to day writings. I'm new at this, but I'll do my best to keep it from getting boring. :)

No comments: